We have been thrilled with all the positive feedback that we have received from mommies/ new mommies who have purchased our preggy and early-postpartum workout programmes, but one resounding question that we keep getting is… “What about the nutritional side of things?”. In line with this, we have partnered with Karen Bishop, dietitian and sportswoman, and have produced a 25 page nutritional guide for pregnancy.
The preggy nutritional guide includes:
- Pregnancy weight gain (ways to work out what is normal)
- Energy requirements during pregnancy (food groups)
- Micronutrients and essential fatty acid suggestions
- Indications and counter-indications (water, sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol, smoking)
- What foods to avoid during pregnancy
- 1 day pregnancy eating plan example
- Dietary treatment of general problems experienced during pregnancy (E.g: heartburn)
- Nutritional requirements during breastfeeding
More about the author:
Karen Bishop has a BSc Degree in Dietetics through the University of Stellenbosch. She is registered with the HPCSA and is a professional member of ADSA (Association of Dietetics South Africa). Karen is an AFMCP graduate (through the Institute for Functional Medicine) and has completed the Advanced Course in Diabetes Care. She has been in private practice since 2002, has appeared on SABC1 and radio talk shows to share her nutritional knowledge and is an author of nutritional children’s books.
Married with 2 children, she has a passion for helping people reach their nutritional goals. Karen’s love for sport has seen her represent KZN in various disciplines; this has given her valuable experience in how ones dietary intake can improve performance.